Tuesday 26 June 2012

Shy History

What have you been doing this week, I was asked yesterday and for a moment I couldn't remember. Life seems to fly by at such a pace that we don't savour the moment enough. So there was plenty of doing and not enough thinking, perhaps, so this is a time for reflection.
Why the title, shy history? It's how I see much of my work really, trying to open history up to public gaze - that which lies hidden and forgotten. It's why I wanted to set up a website where people could upload their history, too, so that we bring these dusty treasures into the limelight and give them the glory they deserve. So there I was on Wednesday sorting through an archive and there was a crumpled piece of paper with this amazing description of  a little girl living in Wolverhampton when Queen Victoria was crowned.



The description continues, a glimpse into a family from nearly 200 years ago. You will find it on www.sharehistory.org

No comments:

Post a Comment